Saturday, August 7, 2021

July 22 – Day 81 Bay south of Sumdum

July 22 – Day 81   Bay south of Sumdum


Yep I was up early, the sky was damp (rained during night) and sky was still gray.  About 7am the Serenity of the Seas – full sized cruise ship and first ship of the year went by.  Unfortunately it put up about a 4 foot wake and repeated rollers which hit us broadside.  This tossed our boats up and down and slammed them together.  The 5/8" stern line between Nelsea and Magic snapped.  The forces bent and ripped stainless screws out of the stainless plate in one of Magics fender hooks.  One of Nelsea's forward fenders hooks  apparently walked up 3 plus inches and came off the railing.  I noticed the fender was gone, but it was hanging in the water; our rule of always have the line backup with a tie/knot over the railings kept it from leaving the scene.  At one point I could see Nelsea's kayak on the upper deck straight through our salon window, and another moment I could see most of Nellie which was on the outside of Nelsea (and rides low) through my salon window.  Stuff fell off counters etc…   Steve, Michelle and I were up and doing our morning computer and work, so we were outside quickly, with Josh close behind reestablishing lines/connections, and then trying to assess any significant damages.  This 'E' ride got everyone who was not out of bed up and moving quickly.   What a way to start the day.  Some when back to bed afterwards. 

 




 

We headed out and passed by the Sumdum Glacier which was in clear view.  Shortly thereafter the Nelsea crew stopped to do some fishing, while Bidarka and Magic continued on across to Admiralty Island.   The crossing was not Liz water, so better to keep moving.   

Investigated a couple of bays and chose Short Finger Bay in Seymour canal for the night.


This is not the moon.   It's the Sumdum Glacier

photo taken by Shawn with his phone held up to the large binoculars.

 

When Nelsea rejoined they had a 30 lb Halibut aboard.  Glen and Steve cleaned and cut it, and Michelle and I vacu sealed it for the freezer. 

 



 

No comments: