Thursday, June 23, 2016

June 22 - Kake and Lords Pocket

June 22 – Kake & Lords Pocket

 

Today is Gary and Lenore’s 53rd Wedding Anniversary; now that is a milestone.  It is going to be a hot day. 

 

Gary sent a text to their daughter this morning and told her they were going into Kake today.   She replied …. I hope you find Frosting.   <grin>

 

 

We are anchored in Lords Pocket.  A very fitting name for this bay.

 

The masses (7 boats/17 people) went by small boat into Kake to so some exploring.  Some also wanted to go to the grocery store.  I was looking for cell service.  I found a little, just enough to make a call or two ….. but I had to stand in the middle of the SOS Market parking lot and turn circles as the signal came in and out.  One of the locals told me that cell service in Kake was like sending and SOS or Smoke Signals.  I believe he was correct.  But I did manage two calls.

Some of the group walked up to the totem pole at the top of the hill.  Having seen it in 2013 I was happy to skip that.  Linda J and I walked down to a small house which contained the Cedar Gift Shop.  All items sold are locally made.  Soaps, shell jewelry, fur hats, fur scarves, fur mittens, fur purses, cribbage boards made out of whale baleen that has been carved, other Whale Baleen carvings, hand carved walking sticks, etc…. all very nice but nothing I needed or couldn’t live without.    We turned and walked back to the fuel dock where Sea Eagle was going to get fuel before heading back out to our bay.  One of the guys in the parking lot at the fuel dock said that we could go into their store if we wanted.  Store, what store.  We went in and it looked like a mini Costco.  Lots of Kirkland products and a large assortment of fresh fruit and vegetables, muffins, bagels, croissants, etc….   Some of our group shopped again and got all the fresh vegetables and fruit that they could carry.   Then back to the small boats and out of town we went.

Once back at the big boats some quick sandwiches were made and the fisher people went out looking to kill Halibut.  Cheryl, Chris, Linda J, and I stayed back and just hung out doing various things.  The large black/green flies are thick here today so we stayed inside as much as possible.  These flies don’t just bite they take a chunk of meat out of you, even thru clothes.  

 

Forever Young and their buddy boat came into the bay and dropped an anchor out in front of us.  Forever Young are Jerry and Jenni Nelson former ski patrollers from Alpental. 

About 5pm they called me on the radio to say that there was a whale in our bay.  I went out to take some photos but the flies were thick and the whale was just feeding so I gave up and went back inside safe from those pesky meat eating flies.

 

Tom, Glen, and Pete came back from fishing first – fish count 2 cod were all the keepers.   Steve came back with a Halibut, Gary with 4-5 large cod, and the rest were skunked.

About 5:30 Buck and Lisa guest of Tom and Chris for the next week flew in by float plane landing just off our bows.  The Pilot did a high fly over the group before landing and then after dropping them off took off.   He did the requisite fly over – buzzed by to say goodbye.   We saw him coming and yelled duck to those in the dinghy.  He went over the dinghy and then right up and over us.

 

 

 

No zoom used on this photo – coming over Magic

 

Jerry further out in the bay called on the radio and told us that they got a great shot of the plane our group. 

It was a beautiful warm sunny evening and many of us ate dinner outside enjoying the view.  This place is truly ‘Lords Pocket’.  A beautiful protected bay, with a snow capped mountain range in the distance.   It was still very light out at 10pm.  The sunset photo above was taken at about 10:30pm 

 

After dinner Glen and I visited with Jerry and Jenni for a bit and then everyone gathered on Sea Jay to have dessert and honor Gary and Lenore on 53 years of Marriage.  They are the sweetest couple you can imagine, and dear friends of ours.

Twas another night in Paradise!

No comments: