Wednesday, June 22, 2016

June 18 - Another sunny day in Alaska

June 18 - Another sunny day in Alaska. 

 

The fisher people (4) when out fishing this morning and the explores (6 of us) went exploring.  The other 4 stayed back to ‘play cards’.  5-6 Cod were caught by one group and the other group had a great time exploring the islands and the woods of Marble Island.  We’ve been there before but this time we walked deeper into the woods and found more water filled marble quarry areas, and lots of large blocks of Marble stacked up as if ready to be shipped.  If my memory serves me the Capitol building in Juneau and a major building in San Francisco were built using marble from this island.  Yep we brought back some marble chunks too.   I now have a small marble slab on the galley counter just big enough for ‘snacks for one’.  There were some other items of ‘yard art’ quality there but I refrained, but Pete nabbed one piece that I’d had my eye on.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Alaska or the Caribbean?

 

 

 

 

 

Critters seen on the adventure – a couple eagle, an eagle’s nest, seal, sea otters, and bear scat, but no bear.

We forgot the zip lock bag and of course found ripe Blue Berries.   They were yummy.   I told the guys that if they picked a bunch I’d make a blueberry torte.   Pete picked ½ a baseball cap full but somehow none of them made it back to the flotilla.  

Once everyone was back and ready we headed out for the El Capitan Cave dock.   Not sure if any of us will do the cave tour this year but we parked at the dock there this evening.  We set out our tables and chairs on the dock and Fish fry dinner - Fish and Chips for 14 people.  Lots of music, some of the girls danced on the dock and it was a great party.   After dinner a few of us walked up to the interpretive center (signs and trail head) for the cave tour and walked the stairs (ok not all of them).  As I recall there are 386 or so stairs to the cave opening.  Maybe tomorrow.

 

 

Tom and Chris saw a black bear across the channel, not sure if they got a photo. 

Until about 10:15pm most of us sat out chatting on the dock.  It was still very light out but getting a bit chilly so a couple ‘buddy heaters’ were brought out.  Glen of course still in shorts and short sleeves – but he did have a small blanket in his lap.  The moon was almost full tonight. 

Chris and Diane joined Glen and I aboard Magic for a movie. 

      

 

 

No comments: