Sunday, June 20, 2021

June 19 – Day 50 – Bay one mile north of Klawock next to Wadleigh Island

June 19 – Day 50 –  Bay one mile north of Klawock next to Wadleigh Island

 

 

Morning sun – 5:30 am.   It's a beautiful sunny day.  

 

I have a conference call that could last most of the day.  In a normal (non-Covid) year I would have traveled to Denver for the conference.  But this year we held a meeting on Wed evening and have a long meeting today.  These meetings are for my work as a National Board Member for the National Ski Patrol.   I have meetings pretty much every week, and we have planned our trip itinerary so that I can make most of them.  This photo will be the background for my zoom call today.  While I will be in the meeting, Tom and Glen will be doing a number of things including going to the grocery and fishing store for supplies, and likely they will be out fishing too.   

 

They did not go fishing, they went exploring in 'Great Salt Lake'.  Yep there is a Salt Lake in Alaska and one in Utah.  😊  The books said that there were two small plane crashes in that area, but they did not find them.  They did find the fuselage of a larger plane.  

Turned out to be a C-47 military aircraft that ditched in 1968 after two engine failures.  I found the story and photos on the internet  -- googled plane crash near Klawock and found the story.     

 

When I finished my calls about 1pm we all went into Klawock to walk through the totem park.  Of course, this meant a photo op session.  Then on to Craig for the grocery store run.    

 

 

Klawock Totem Park

 

 

In front of a house across the street from the totem park – Mr Potato Head Totem

Steve, Michelle and their friend John got back in the afternoon, so the flotilla is fully crewed again.   

We went over and met their plane and gave them a Jetboat uber ride to Nelsea.

 

They still had to go to the grocery store so we went back to our boat homes and waited in the sunshine.   One black bear sighting on the beach, no photo.

 

We have reservations for dinner at the Fireweed Lodge in Klawock which will be fun.

Approaching Fireweed Lodge

Great dinner – Soup, Salad, Seafood Combo – Salmon, Halibut, and Shrimp, Rice and Vegies, and choice of about a dozen different home-made desserts.

No comments: