Tuesday, June 15, 2021

June 11 - Day 42 - Whale of a Day - part 2

June 11 – Day 42    - Whale of a Day – part 2

 

ORCAS!!!

 

Orca family – Looks like 5 in the group, correction 6 per one of Michelle’s photos.  4 in these photos. 

One was very small aka a baby, not in this photo.

 

 

The little one following along


👆    👆                             👆       👆           👆

Look close there are 5 Orca in this photo.  2 on the left and 3 on the right 

2nd from left is the baby that is just about fully down

(I hope my arrows stay pointing to the whales)

 

3 here, one doing a little tail slapping

 

What a treat two whale shows in one morning all before 8am.   What else will this day bring?

 

I’m holding down the anchorage and watching for the next ‘critter’ show, while the others all went out to the ocean to fish.   I have my lounge chair on the bow in the sun.  It is quiet except for the birds and waves breaking on the beach.   What else could I ask for?

 

About noonish the first group of fisherpersons came back, fishless.  I told them to go back out but that didn’t work.  Steve and Michelle are more dedicated to fishing and had gone out further looking for that perfect spot.   

 

I stayed out on the bow enjoying the warm sun and watching Eagles and King Fishers until about 2pm.   It was a beautiful day.

 

 

 

Today’s view

 

Whales were often near the kelp bed marked by the star in the burgee 

 

 

The Nellie crew came back with a fish!  A small Halibut.  They caught and released several other Halibut but could not find the Salmon they were after.  They were fishing out near a group of boats from the local fishing lodges, and it appeared that those fisherman did not catch anything either.  It is reportedly about a week or two early for the Kings this year.

 

 

No comments: