Saturday, June 26, 2021

June 23 - Day 54 Kuiu island to Gut Bay

 

 

 

June 23 – Day 54     Kuiu island to Gut Bay

 

The group took a walk today on Kiui island along the portage trail and road that we’d found yesterday.  Lots of animal tracks and evidence along the road, bear, deer, and either Elk or Moose prints.  Not sure which but they were big.

 

 

 

 

This is the road, clearly not used by vehicles in a long time.

 

 

 

 

Meadow bog along the route

 

Another great view

 

After the 4+ mile walk, the group decided to forgo the cannery exploration and move on to Gut Bay after a quick lunch.

 

Gut bay is beautiful!   It is totally landlocked.  Surrounded by very high granite mountains 3-4,000 feet tall all around.  These walls are tall, covered with waterfalls, and snow patches. There was snow on the tops of these mountains and many deposits of snow at the bottom of avalanche chutes.  With all the rain the waterfalls are dumping huge amounts of water.   Based on the size of the areas with low shrubbery, the avalanches in this area are huge. I can only imagine what this place looks like on a sunny day, it would be gorgeous. 

 

Tom being a fisherman could hardly wait to get a line in the water, so he started fishing off the back of the big boats.   All of a sudden he yelled ‘Halibut on’, I’ve got a Halibut.   I ran out with the camera to capture the moment.   This is what I saw.  

 

Tom and his BIG fish

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: