Saturday, May 7, 2016

May 5 Nanaimo to Henry Island

 

May 5   Nanaimo to Henry Island

 

 

We left Nanaimo under sunny and windy skies.  The water was rough so things that generally fall, were secured or put on the floor.  I (Liz) had my ‘Relief Band’ on, ate some ‘ginger candy’ and prepared for the worst.  I hunkered in my corner of the couch for whatever came my way.    It was a rough ride but I made it through ok.  

 

All the travelers made it through but some with a bit more ‘bobbing and tossing’ than they liked.

 

We ended up stopping about noon at a beautiful bay where Willard and Diane have friends who have a summer place.  Three of us tied to their mooring buoy, and three were tied to their dock.   The tide was still low but on its way up so Diane and I zipped over to the point and dug and picked a 5-gallon bucket of steamer clams and baby sized oysters.  We had that project done before the 3rd boat made their arrival.  Hung the harvest in bags over the side so that the little critters could clean the sand out of themselves.  

 

Everyone took a dinghy ride to explore the area.   Beautiful!   Some lovely summer homes, some huge.

 

A cocktail hour some of the Oysters became ‘shooters’ for those brave at heart.   I was raised by a mom that said ‘you have to try things every year, you never know when you will decide you like something.’  So I got brave, and downed one of those small slimy things, washed it down with a gulp of Margarita and looked to the sky and said.  “Okay mom, I tried it, and yep I still don’t like them.”   Everyone chuckled, and then someone suggested that at my age I don’t have to do what mom says anymore.  What? Really?

 

 

After cocktails we went for a walk around the grounds and house.   Apparently they have something like 47 acres.  We did not walk all of it.  The house is quite large but only has one bedroom.  But there is a guest house connected to the main house which has something like 8-10 bedrooms.  The place is beautiful.   The owners were not home (we knew that before we went), but the caretaker was there and welcomed us warmly. 

  

 

 

 

It being Cinco de Mayo – meant an evening of Margarita’s and Tacos and Burritos for dinner.    Nelson’s, Thomas’s and Dodge’s joined forces for dinner on Magic.  The others were on the dock and did their own thing.

 

Oops – there was a slight mishap and one of the bags of clams became untied from Sea Life and went straight to the bottom.  That was a ‘clamity’.   Willard and Glen tried fishing for it – hoping to snag the bag but no luck. 

 

Another successful day.

 

 

1 comment:

Orit said...

Enjoying reading about the adventures so far!