Sunday, May 15, 2016

Joes Bay to Ocean Falls by way of Shearwater

 

May 13 –

 

Everyone was up, feed, and ready to go by about 9:30am.  The decision was to head to Shearwater to see what could be done about Tom’s steering problem.  Others of us will be trying to get a small bit of internet or cell service time.  Ya gotta get it when you can.

 

Next stop will be at Ocean Falls for some exploration of the area. 

 

 

In route Sea Life called saying they spotted Orca on their port.  Looked back saw nothing.  A bit later Nelsea called out ‘full breach’ on starboard.   No other reports.  I hope someone got a photo.  This appears to be the first Orca sightings of this trip.  

 

The boys have been on the phones for quite a bit calling all their best mechanic guru’s, manufactures etc… trying to come up with what might be wrong with Tom’s steering.  Sounds like something to do with Hydraulics and the Autopilot system but no good answers. No one even has any parts that could be shipped up.  So we are keeping our fingers crossed that the guys in Shearwater have an idea up their sleeve.

 

Pulling into Shearwater at about 2:30pm

 

Nice afternoon visiting on the dock with other boaters.  I did some internet work.  Some of the ladies did laundry (Diane and I were happy that we have laundry facilities on board so ours was already done).  Most of the guys did guy stuff, or helped with their laundry.  Tom had the mechanic down.  Quick fix for the big steering issue.  He’d has a ‘fuse’ go out.  Replaced the fuse and should be back in business. 

 

 

 

I met a former ski patroller ‘Dave’ from Mt Washington on a boat across the dock.  Turns out he took his OEC course from me many years ago when I was sent up to Mt Washington to introduce them to OEC and teach a course.  He remembered me and the great time we had during the course.  What a small world.  After dinner I went over and had a nice visit with them.  He lives in Comox.

 

 

 

 

There was a very large Eagle hanging out at the marina today and I got some photos.    We all went out to dinner at the Shearwater Pub.  It was a warm evening so we sat on the patio.  It is now 9pm and it is still warm enough to be outside in short sleeves.

 

 

 

No comments: