May 22 - Welcome to Alaska Back in the USA!
Cruise Ships --- it must be Ketchikan.
Morning in Prince Rupert. The weather forecast still sounds iffy at best. Reports say 30 knot winds and up to 11 foot seas. That does not make for a good crossing.
About 8am the guys all talked and decided that they thought the forecast was wrong or that we should go out see what we find. Are you guys nuts?!!!!! So off we went.
We made the crossing fine with just rollers and not a lot of wind. I prepared for the worst and did my thing for hunkering down and sleeping thru as much as possible. The rollers and I don’t get along all that well so sleeping is a good thing, I also watched a movie. When I woke from my second nap, I found cookies next to me. I guess Glen was celebrating that I made it thru another crossing and giving me a reward. What a nice guy. Apparently the weather forecasters were confused again.
We are about 16 miles from Ketchikan. The sun is out and the water is quite nice. I’m a happy camper.
We cleared customs at the fuel dock in Ketchikan at 5 pm Alaska time. There was quite a line at the fuel dock. The Mother Goose boats and a tour boat from Seattle that was repositioning for the summer. J
There were 4 cruise ships in port when we arrived, but by the time we finished fueling and were headed for our moorage, they all had departed. Three headed north and one south.
All are mooring in Barr Harbor tonight – 4 of us in the North Basin and 1 (Spirit Bear) in the South Basin. In order to get Spirit power, they had to go to the South Basin for a slip. We are positioned all over the marina as the transient moorage is in the slips where the permanent moorage customers are out fishing or the like. Glen and I spoke to a really nice couple on the dock who had just gotten into port with their ‘new to them’ boat – a 49’ CHB. They had just purchased it in Petersburg and were moving it to Ketchikan their home. They apparently spent the weekend picking up the boat, and figuring out what it had and didn’t have, making lists and plans for making it their own and getting ready for some great adventures. Glen told them about our summer plans and it got them excited to start their adventures. Our last boat got docked at about 6:30 pm (7:30 by our body clocks). Everyone is tired, well except me as I’d had a few naps. We had a quick dinner at a local eatery and then back to the boats and for some shut eye.
First photo of Sea Life in Alaska



No comments:
Post a Comment