Day 85 – August 3
I woke up very early this morning (4am); the bay was dark and quiet. I managed to go back down for a nap, and got up at 7am. Hardly anyone else in the bay was moving. There were a couple mink, weasel or similar critters running around in the nearby rocks. It is a gray, foggy, and cool morning.
On this cool morning even the seagulls were sleeping in. I watched two seagulls wake up and start doing their morning personal cleaning on the roof top of the float house near us. One lost its balance and literally tipped off the peak of the roof and slid down the metal roof until it could get its wings out and moving for a self rescue lift off. It didn’t take long but it was funny. The other gull briefly flapped its wings wildly but did not take off. I think it was caught off guard and did not want to go sliding down the roof like its buddy. The errant bird flew a big circle and then landed back in the same spot it had been. Upon its landing the second gull looked right at the first and squawked a couple times. Laughing???? I only got part of this photo op. I should have had the camera on rapid fire.
I chatted with one of the locals (lives in the purple float house now, used to live in the yellow and red boat) this morning. She is a very interesting lady. She said that the bay is really changing. Several families have moved away. The school was closed and has forced another family with three children to move to a town. But there are hopes of having some more float houses and families brought in before next summer.
Glen got up about 8:30, and started plotting our course for the days cruise. We are starting our trip south toward Campbell River today. He pulled the pots, a few shrimp; and started stowing things below deck. We said our goodbyes to all and pulled off the dock about 11:20. The sky was still very gray, and somewhat foggy. The sun is up there trying to burn through but it’s going to be a tough job today.
We missed seeing Gary and Lenore Timm on Noon Balloon as they never made it over to Echo. Hopefully we’ll get to see them later this summer or fall. Lenore, if you find the Miners fight Tom for your loaf of bread. With any luck you will get maybe a slice at least.
The afternoon was amazingly sunny and even warm. So why are we cruising and not just staying in one spot sitting on the back deck enjoying the summer weather? Don’t ask; I don’t want to answer.
Yikes, I almost forgot we had an Orca sighting today. Just one lone Orca but fairly close to our boat. I even got some okay photos.
No comments:
Post a Comment