Saturday, June 14, 2008

Whales and Eagles near Point Baker

Day 29 – June 8

Cruising along past Point Baker we came across a couple of humpback whales swimming side by side. One appeared to be a Fin Back (never shows it’s tail) and the other a Humpback. Don’t know if they would normally travel together so I’m guessing that the one was just to modest to show his tail. Got a couple photos but they stayed under the water most of the time. After we sped back up and were leaving the area I watched behind us for a while and in the distance could see the Humpback surfacing and flipping it’s tail around a bit. A couple really big splashes and once I saw it breach fairly high out of the water. There was a fishing boat passing by it about that time and he really got a show. They were a long way back there and I’d already put the camera down. Oh well, it was too far for a good photo anyway.

Next came across about 8-10 Eagles all fishing in a school of fish. Very interesting. Took quite a few photos; some with up to 5 Eagles in flight just above the water in one shot. One very odd shot of two Eagles but you can only see the body of one, and 4 wings. Maybe it was one of those elusive Alaskan 4 winged Eagles, ya that’s it.



It is a cold and rainy gray day. Hard to tell where the water stops and the sky starts. It seems like it has rained fairly steadily since Tom and Chris got here. Last night I tried to tell Tom it was his fault; that he’d brought the rain with him from Washington, but he quickly said that he had been reading my blog and knew it had rained while he was gone. Rats!

Swells on the water today so I had to wear my bracelet and Glen sped up to try to get us across that section a bit faster. I guess he wanted to survive the wrath of my stomach.

We anchored in an unnamed bay in the rain. Tom has named it Miner Bay. No dinghy ride tonight for the girls, but the guys went out to drop the pots and they tried there luck at a bit of fishing.

No comments: