Tuesday, September 27, 2016

September 20 - Teakerne Arm to Penrose Bay, Malispina Inlet

September 20 -  Teakerne Arm to Penrose Bay, Malispina Inlet

Beautiful sunny morning and all day. Yippee summer is here again. 

An Alaskan charter boat anchored in the bay not far from us

 

Willard and Diane talked to Doug and Danna this morning while pulling our prawn pots --- zero prawn.  Doug and Danna only got 5, so we didn’t feel all that bad.

We had a nice cruise down to Penrose bay, what a difference a little sun makes. 

This peak looked like it had fresh snow on it but that seemed impossible as none of the other peaks around had snow.   After the cloud cleared we could see a glacier lower on that peak. 

 

We spent part of the day lounging on the lido deck of Sea Life in the sun, then took a long dingy ride to go exploring.   There are A LOT of oyster beds and farms around here; many with ‘native’ signs.  I think we saw like 4 logging operations along the way too.  And one spot that looked like it maybe used to have a cannery.

           Oyster Lollipop …. Oyster farming on sticks.

 

Native Petroglyphs or just weird markings on the rock wall. 

 

We got back to the big boats about 6pm and cleaned up a bit before going out to the ‘Laughing Oyster’ for dinner.   The dinner was great as usual, and the view is amazing at sunset.  If you haven’t been to this restaurant you really need to put it on your ‘go to’ list.  

         No, we did not have starfish for dinner

 

After dinner I was sitting outside the restaurant trying to get some emails in and out and I heard a women’s voice say ‘Is that Liz Dodge I see?’  I looked up and saw the silhouette of 4 people but could not see their faces so I replied, ‘yes, who am I talking to’.  It was Mary and Jeff Davis from the Mt Baker ski patrol.  Small world.  Mary knew I was on my boat somewhere this summer and had spoken to Dave May and he told her the name of the boat and that he thought we might be in this area about now.  She was going to call us on the radio but just hadn’t done it yet.  They were sitting two tables away from us in the restaurant.  They usually are on a sailboat but this summer decided to charter a power boat with some friends.  They were on a 38’ Bayliner that they chartered out of Nanaimo.  We all walked down to the docks together and Mary picked Glen’s brain about where they might want to go over the next week. It was really fun to see Mary and Jeff on the water.

We then headed back out the big boats under a sky filled with stars.  Not a cloud in the sky and stars everywhere.    Amazingly beautiful.

 

 

 

   We were anchored between this yacht and the waterfall; a great spot

 

 

No comments: