July 28 – Juneau to Taku
Dave May joined us early today and we did the last bit of provisioning (fresh vegetables, etc....). Then the guys (Glen, Dave, and a couple others) headed off to the ‘outdoor sports’ store for whatever. On the way back they drove thru the downtown and tourist district so ‘show Dave around’ so he could say he’d ‘been there and done that’.
Shawn and Kat were packed up and headed out, they were going to do some things in town – brewery tour, maybe Mendenhall glacier, downtown/tourist district etc… before flying south in the evening.
The fleet of boats headed out at various times during the day and all converged at Taku by evening. No critter sightings in route.
Mendenhall Glacier - Juneau
Glen, Dave and I took a walk on shore exploring the old cannery ruins and the couple housing buildings which are still fairly intact. Since 2013 there have been improvements to one of those buildings – new doors, door knobs, locks, curtains, and appear to be equipped for weekend getaways. I picked some Thimbleberries which were ripe and sweet. The yard art museum had had a few new exhibits added. Back in 2008 when we were here I put a few small items that I found on the tops of the short pilings to be on display. In 2013 we found that several more items had been perched for display, and I added several more to the growing museum. Today we found a beach museum full of yard art on display. It is actually quite attractive. I added one more piece as did Dave.
Display on the porch of one of the buildings.
Oh, how could I forget, ½ way thru our exploration it started to rain, and I mean rain. We were soaked to the skin by the time we got back to the boat.
There were 4 other boats, in addition to our 7 on the dock. I think we have been renamed ‘the Mighty Seven’.
We had dinner, a movie, and then a good nights sleep.






No comments:
Post a Comment