Sunday, August 28, 2016

August 5 - Pack Creek to Whitney Island

August 5 – Pack Creek to Whitney Island

Noon Balloon pulled out at 7:30am trying to get to the fishing grounds ahead of the rest.  It was closer to 9:00 before the rest of us pulled anchor and headed out under warm sunny skies and reflectively flat water.  Outside temp was 65 F at 7 am.  Pulled shrimp pot … 1 shrimp – this is getting ridiculous.  It will be a great day for cruising, and sight-seeing.  At 11am the outside temp was warm enough for sitting outside on the front deck while watching and photographing whales.  Saw a couple breach but missed the shots.  Dave got in a cleaning mood and spent some time during the cruise deep cleaning the fly-bridge.  What a nice guy.  Glen drove, Maryann worked on her famous spaghetti sauce for our dinner, and I worked on this blog (someday I’ll actually be able to post again), sorted thru photos, and did some other computer work to try to get caught up (ha ha I’ll never get caught up). 

Dave, the perfect guest/crew ….. cleaning the fly bridge …. Boy did it need it!

 

 

Came across an area with a good number of whales and had fun trying to get shots with four camera clicking away. 

 

 

 

 

As we went past the Five Fingers Light house there were people walking around the main building.  I was in the doorway taking a photo and Dave was upstairs both of us on the starboard side; then Glen blew Magic’s horn.  I’m not sure either Dave or I will ever hear again. 

We found our anchorage for the evening off Whitney Island in Cleveland Passage with all 5 boats rafted up.  Crab pots were put down, time will tell.  Jim, Brian, Lenore, Gary, and Mike and Willard all went out fishing (three boats).  Fish count – Nooner = 0, Sea Life = 0, Sea Eagle = 5 nice Silvers in the boat, and one that got away out of the net.  Their weights ranged from about 6 – 11 lbs.

I gave some bread baking lessons on Magic; another student passed (a male this time).

Another large group dinner was done on Magic, this time Spaghetti, fresh French Bread, salad, and fresh mussels. 

 

Nooner lost it’s steering cable today, luckily very close to the boats so Glen played tug boat and pushed them back to the group.  They are hoping to find the appropriate parts in Petersburg in a couple days.

                           

 

 

No comments: