Day 72 – July 21
Okay we are trying this again, starting out at 6:45am from Annette Bay/Annette Island about 5-7 miles from Ketchikan. Water in the bay looks fine. Went past several fishing boats on the way out, one was the younger brother that we met last night. He waved goodbye as we passed. I’ve got my nest made and am ready to hunker down to ride out whatever might hit us today. I’ve found hibernating through rough water is a good thing.
Woke up from my midsummer nap and the water seems okay, the sun is shining and there isn’t much stuff on the floor that we hadn’t already put there for safe keeping.
The crossing today included 7 foot rollers with wind chop on top and about 15-20 knot winds, but apparently that only lasted for about 3 hours (while I napped), and the rest of the crossing was pretty uneventful.
Glen got a hair brained idea to shave off his beard today. He’s been up on the fly bridge and keeps coming down to show a new look. First it was just the chin shaved. Then one side gone, then the other side went leaving a poorly shaped mustache, which went last. Yes, there are photos of each stage. They may not be published but I needed them for proof of his insanity. He feels better now that he has skin showing again. Frankly I didn’t think the beard looked all that bad. Much better than the one he grew many years ago. That one was much redder than his head hair. This one was more salt and pepper. Oh he did this while cruising so I guess that this proves that at least part of the crossing was in nicer water. Glen’s story is that when we crossed the border into Canada his beard just sucked back in.
Hummm, the weather …. It was cold, rainy, and gray in Alaska and it appears that about the time we crossed the border (or about the time I woke up) the sun was out. It looks like summer again.
We are now milling around the harbor in Prince Rupert waiting for a slip to open up at the Yacht Club. Glen called the Harbormaster and arranged moorage for the Miners, but we have to wait until a large boat leaves. Tenacious, a Seattle boat that we had seen in Hoonah and several other places had come in to clear customs and pick up groceries before heading on south. I hope they shop fast.
Our plan is to clear customs and stay overnight. Pick up a few groceries and relax before heading further south.
This is a crowded and busy place today. Even the fishing boats have to wait their turn.
No comments:
Post a Comment