July 5 – Day 66 Waking up at Goulding Harbor - part 1
I found another picture from day 64 when team 2 of the Pelton wheel project made its last stand before deciding to leave the wheel in its new position till next time.
As usual I was up early. The morning was quiet and reflective, and calm. The group of two bears (both golden brown) are still on the beach exactly where they were last night. I guess they had a sleepover on the beach. The other bear (a bit darker in color) is back in the meadow on the far side of the beach behind an outcropping of trees.
A bit later the two bears left their side of the meadow quickly as another one came out by a stream in the middle of the meadow. The newcomer was a bit bigger and much darker in color. Sorry no decent photo. It was walking toward the outcropping of trees behind which was the other single, and smaller bear (photo above). I put the camera down and picked up our powerful and stabilized binoculars and just watched. Both bears disappeared into the woods which separated them. The big meadow now empty but only momentarily. At first one, ‘the scout’ and then a group of about 5 deer came out of the woods and walked along the edge of the woods heading away from where the most recent bears were seen, but toward where the first two disappeared. The deer were clearly on alert and not wasting any time. At one point they all started running and ducked back into the woods. Shortly there-after I heard a sound like something crying out, it was loud and somewhat sounded like a human baby screaming. There were only about three cries and quiet again. It did not sound like a bird but who only knows what it was. ‘Circle of Life?’ Over the next ½ hour there were no sightings of any deer or bear. Only the sounds of a nearby waterfall or river, and a few waterbirds and a woodpecker knocking away at a tree. I think the very early mornings are my favorite time of day.



No comments:
Post a Comment